Monday, October 29, 2007

COSTLY QUESTIONS

I'm currently reading the book, "How to Change the World - Social Entrepreneurs and the Power of New Ideas." It's a fantastic book featuring amazing people dedicating their lives to extreme causes. I admire these individuals for everything they pursue and everything they are. A social entrepreneur is someone who finds a way to achieve economic gains as a means towards bringing people together to solve social issues.

The common trait of the social entrepreneurs is their selflessness. They aren't finding ways to prosper while solving social problems, they find economic platforms as a solution to "make" other people care about the social issues. The individuals leading these efforts seldom make any money themselves. I admire it. I want to be like that. But as I'm reading this book nagging questions keeps popping into the back of my mind...how do these people make money? Without a 401k how will they retire?

I wish I didn't think like that. I wish I could give up those pragmatic thoughts and just follow a passion of compassion. But I find it very difficult.

3 comments:

rabzodemorayh said...

I think it's easier if you're a woman in our society...making money's never your headache---but marrying someone who's decently financially stable is :)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps, but those I see at the end of the spectrum say it wasn't worth it ;)

Pagoda said...

Marc, thank you for reading! I checked out some of your poetry and really enjoyed it - you are extremely talented. I hope to spend a bit more time on your site when I get the chance. Keep writing!