Tuesday, September 11, 2007

WILL WORK FOR INSIGNIFICANCE

Today I was at the office late, trying to finish up a few projects so I'd have less to do tomorrow. As I walked out of the office I remembered all the days over the past two years that I spent working hours and hours of overtime. I was giving up years of my life to get ahead in the corporate world. I don't regret it, because I learned from it (boy is consulting a much better gig!). I'm really happy with my current situation - a job that has an end in sight, flexible hours and no commitment.

But the strangest thing happened as I walked to the subway tonight - I kind of craved getting back into that monotonous schedule that had me waking up at dawn and getting home at dark. Why would I crave that? The money? No. The status? No. The feeling of having achieved something during the day? No. I think I craved it because it keeps me from thinking. If I only have time to think about work, that's all I have to worry about.

No comments: